Friday, March 30, 2007

#43 - If its Friday we need to be in Hot Springs

Yesterday we left off with my new Palm. A sleek looking Palm Pilot T/X. It has a large screen and several new features. I can watch movies and videos, if I can figure how to get them on the Palm. I can also get wireless Internet. Now that is keen. What they don't tell you is that the site you visit really has to be set up for small screen Internet or its a jumble. The original home page that came set up with the T/X is a Palm company site that is specifically set up for PDAs. It doesn't have much graphics and has lots of hyperlinks to other sites that are also set up for small screens.

With many phones as well as PDAs having Wi-Fi capability, there should be more and more sites that are small screen friendly. I can check my gmail account, find the weather, news and sports updates. Not bad for an item weighing less then 8 oz. I can flip the screen sideways to get more screen width and its almost readable. It has a great antenna so I can pick up wireless connections just about anywhere in a city. It has several new features I haven't checked out but they mainly have to do with downloading email and pdf files. It also has bluetooth capability, but the only other bluetooth device I have is my Mac Mini. I'll have to see if they can talk at some time. I have most of my music on the Mac.

The Palm makes a nice MP3 player. It has a slot for a SD memory card (like you use in cameras). You can put up to a 4GB card and use most of it for music. The music player that comes with the palm will do play lists and has decent sound controls. Moving music to the card is very easy (almost as easy as an iPod). It even has a teeny tiny speaker if you have forgot your headphones.

Cost of this modern marvel? $299 without the memory card. Palm sells a complete line up of PDAs and Phones with PDA capabilities starting at $99 and heading toward $600 at the high end.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: