Thursday, March 29, 2007

#42 - If its Thursday is this Selma?

Keeping track of where I'm supposed to be has become a very high tech activity. Getting old has given me the wonderful talent of completely forgetting where I should be. I've been using a Palm Pilot Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) for many years, but it has become more important every year.

My first Palm really only did a few things. Contacts, calendar, calculator and a few games. I waited until the Palm came out with a color screen to buy one. I have found that color is so much easier on my eyes. When I got the first Palm there really wasn't a choice of competitors. Microsoft came out with the Windows CE operating system and several manufacturers, notably HP and Toshiba, began making a Palm alternative. Unfortunately, I've found the Palm alternatives to be big, heavy and expensive.

The fate of my first Palm Pilot was unfortunate. It got lost. I mean, I think it got lost. One day I had it, and the next I didn't . Much searching and gnashing of teeth did not bring it back. Fortunately all my data was backed up on the PC. I purchased a new Palm and all my data flowed back. You will never believe how lost I was the days between not having the Palm and getting the new one. The new Palm had some cute features. It could play music (additional memory card required). And the version of the Graffiti writing recognition software was improved. It was smaller and lighter then the original. I was in heaven again (at least that's what the Palm said!)

My second Palm stopped holding a charge several weeks ago. That meant lost appointments and and unreliable Nick. So another new Palm is now in my pocket. This ones adds video and Wi Fi capability. I'll talk a bit more on those points tomorrow! Gotta run, meeting at 10PM says the new Palm!

No comments: