Friday, March 9, 2007

#28 The High tech home - Part II

We left off our high tech home travels in the bathroom. Let's go back to outside the home. How do you unlock your doors? Still using keys? That's 500 year old technology. The latest is to use keypads and electronically open them. Keypads have great advantages. You can set up different combinations for different access. For example you can give out an access number to the cable guy that will only work from 9-5PM not at midnight. If you get a new housekeeper you can just delete the old housekeepers number and not have to rekey all your doors. You also can have a record of when everyone comes into the house. Teenagers will still craw through open windows!

Now the kitchen is the room that has seen the most technology change. Refrigerators that dispense all kinds of liquids and solids from the door are now the norm. Smooth ceramic cook tops and Convection/Microwave ovens have changed in a single generation how we prepare foods. Does anyone under the age of 60 really use their oven any more? I would love to have an instant hot water tap on our sink to make that cup of tea I like in the winter. You hardly ever see a kitchen without a TV today. Nice thin flat screen TVs that are small enough to fit in any small corner. Another newer innovation are the small wine refrigerators that have separate white and red wine zones. Santa I'll take the 50 bottle model, please!

Home theaters are the upscale equivalent of the old sunken living rooms. I've seen some in homes with theatre seats, popcorn machines and a sound system that could deafen half of Covington. Plasma, LCD and projection displays have gotten bigger every year. Costs have come down from outrageous to "wait for my Tax Return" size. Connecting your video system to your PC for all those MP3 songs and now downloaded videos is the latest rage. Two summers ago I digitized my entire CD collection. I hardly ever listen to music through the old sound system any more.

I would like to computer control my lights and heating. There have been systems to do this for 20 years, but its still isn't quite ready for prime time. I'll bet we'll see the time where you come into the house and tell it "Honey, I'm home!" and the house will adjust temperature, lighting and music to your taste.

Have a great weekend and don't forget to SPRING forward on Sunday!

No comments: