Sunday, April 1, 2007

#44 - The TV Computer

This is Monday mornings blog on late Sunday night. Its a busy week for PCSS. We'll be on vacation Friday and Monday so keep that in mind if you are looking for a new blog!

So how long do you think it will be before we buy all in one computer/TVs? I can bring my cable into my Computer and set up a window that shows what is on TV. The quality isn't the best but it is TV. You can now watch most TV shows after the fact on the web. I pick up NBC's The Office on the web because I have a meeting on Thursday nights. I think that more and more content will be on the web and you can watch it there. In fact its like having EVERYTHING Tivoed. Just find the program on the web and either download it or if you have a good broadband connection just watch it on line.

One new item that doesn't make much sense to me is the iPod or Phone video craze. The screens are just too small and the audio (at least for phones) isn't the best. To make matters worse, iTunes and their ilk are CHARGING money for free TV episodes. Something is very wrong about that. Hope this poor concept goes away soon.

Now one new web phenomena that is interesting is YouTube.com. Being able to post all sorts of interesting video on the web has certainly turned on human creativity. Yes, much of it is very sophomoric but there is some interesting content. The music videos are especially creative. I've found new artists that bring a different look to modern music.

I think the key is the ability to get the entertainment you want, when you want it. Other then live sports, most entertainment should be available when you feel like being entertained not when someone thinks you should. VCRs and Tivo type systems have brought us part of the way there. "All the way" would be a system in which you come home and pick and choose what you want to watch, not whats on from an almost endless supply. I'll let the marketing gurus figure out how to pay for it!

No comments: