Tuesday, March 13, 2007

#30 New Software? What new software

I started to use the new Office 2007 that Microsoft hoisted upon us with the new operating system, Windows Vista. In particular, I was working with Word 2007. The interface is new and I was having a bit of difficulty finding some features (Like Save as, Outlining, Lines spacing!). While doing this, I started to think about what has happened to new software?

Other then some incremental upgrades, I haven't seen a program that does anything different in years. I would suppose that most new software is found on the Internet as web sites that do something more then give out information. If you have found some new commercial software, please let me know about it.

In fact I sell very little software anymore. Antivirus, Antispyware and Office are about it. Cameras come with graphics programs for free. Microsoft gives away browsers and music players. Apple gives away iTunes, If you have a CD or DVD burner on your PC, it probably came with free software (we use NERO) to make CDs. So I think its been the advent of free software that's killed innovation in software. Why work on a new program when someone will probably give it away with some hardware?

Happy Tuesday.

No comments: