Monday, March 19, 2007

#33 Sound of Technology

Sorry for no Blog on Friday. I actually took the day off to watch the rain! Well that was the end result! So lets talk about sounds and technology. If I make a little chirping sound people all around me start reaching for their cell phones. Make a long Beep sound and people start to open their microwave oven. A ding ding sound and you check if you left the keys in your car or the lights are on. We have been trained by our high tech items to answer their call. Pavlov's dog indeed.

I get a kick out of the various ring tones people use on their cell phones. From college fight songs to classical overtures to hip hop/ rap ditties. Me? I usually put my cell on vibrate since I wear it. I feel any other action is rude, crude and intrusive. But hey, that's just Nick. I try not to use the phone when driving or in any public place, but sometimes even the best intentions get swayed by a buzz. Good news is that most Cell Phones have caller ID so if you get Beethoven's Sonata #3 calling you can not answer Aunt Gladys' call.


We have our door bell set up that for one ding its the side door, 2 dings its the front. An electrician not so long ago reversed the wires during a fix up job and we were turned around for days. I quickly changed the wires back to original settings. We understand change, but don't like it much!


I think Microsoft paid someone over $100,000 for the sounds that Windows uses in start up and shut down. I don't think AOL paid much for the infamous "You've got Mail" sound. My Apple mini Mac has a very unique sound that it plays when you turn it on. So having a unique hello must really matter. Again, I would rather they start up quicker and silently, but I must be in the minority.

The most annoying high tech sound for me is when a power supply fan or processor cooling fan starts to go bad. The fan gets a high pitched whiny sound that can last for weeks. It is an indicator that the end is near so don't ignore it! Let me know what high tech sounds you like or hate! Till Tomorrow

No comments: