Monday, April 9, 2007

#47 - Technology and Money Part2

I'm back and feeling better. Still sniffling with allergies, but not achey or sleepy. Lets finish our discussion on Technology and Money. We talked about Visicalc and how it led to a PC on every business desk. Let's get a bit more personal.

I just finished my taxes and to be honest I didn't do a detailed analysis of the whole process. I've been using Turbotax for years and have grown comfortable with just answering the questions and letting the program do the rest. I used to do the taxes every year, but this is so much easier. As the tax code and my finances get more complicated it makes a lot of sense to let the program do the work. Spend the $49.00 and get the peace of mind that the program works. I even got the Phone Tax rebate this year because of TurboTax!

We also use Quicken and/or Quickbooks for family/company finances. The reports and reconsiliation keep us straight and always on the know to our personal finances. I print out my checks and never have a problem at month end. If you aren't using a financial program you should consider getting one today.

Our bank of choice, Highlands Community Bank (HCB), is going online soon. We'll be able to get updated balances, transfer money and pay every bill we get online. There are some security concerns in going online, but let me say that HCB has taken every precaution to protect their customers. They took their time in making sure that every twist and turn of online finances is being covered.

So when will we be cashless? It can't be too far down the road. I saw my nephew pay for a $3.50 grocery bill by credit card. So why carry cash at all? There still are a few places that don't take plastic, but those are also dwindling. Its too bad that the most unscrupulous financial people out there are the credit card companies. They are the masters of hidden charges, fees and just not being nice to their customers. There are exceptions, but for the most part you really need to know the policies of your credit cards. A one day mistep could easily cost you hundreds of dollars. I can't believe a financial company can get by charging 17% interest, but there are hundreds of credit cards doing just that. Buyer beware!

No comments: